Letter From The Editors: March 24, 2021

Celebrating the Strength of Mayfield Students (ONE year since March 13th)

A year of loss. Of change. Of struggle. March 13th, 2021 marked one year since we said goodbye to in-person classes. To lockers and crowded hallways. To what we would now consider normal life. None of us knew that last day walking to the car line or hurrying to the parking lot, how much our lives would change. 

For the next 12 months, our days became filled with hours online, as classes became fully virtual. We could no longer smile at our classmates in the hallways or cheer on our class in pep rallies — things that make the Mayfield experience so memorable. But the Mayfield students, true to our motto “Actions not words,” rose to every challenge. They made it a year of strength. Of resilience. Of serving others. And now we would like to acknowledge and celebrate the students of Mayfield Senior School and what they have done since March 13, 2020. 

From the beginning, as in March and April of 2020, Mayfield students had strong inclinations to do their part seemingly encouraged by Cornelia Connelly’s words: “we never know what we can do until we try. Perseverance gains the crown.” 

Embracing this motto, Karissa Ho ‘21, alongside her church, sewed masks, and was even featured in an article for her service. 

Similarly, over the summer, incoming 12th graders, Grace Fontes, Keara Keelty, and Isabella Augustine began a virtual mentorship program for elementary school students at the Cornelia Connelly Center. This virtual mentorship was in place of the usual week-long trip to New York, where two Mayfield students work at “Camp Cornelia.” Since the program was held virtually, however, the Mayfield team was able to collaborate with other Holy Child high schoolers to provide lesson plans and games. They were able to continue to meet over the course of the school year and offer guidance and a listening ear to their campers. Additionally, the Campus Ministry Council initiated the Loaves and Fishes Program to provide weekly lunches to local homeless shelters, which largely rallied the community for a greater cause. 

While it was a year that tested the world in several aspects — besides the actual physical distance enforced — we championed strength and enthusiasm for the community at large. Ranging from Kris Kinds — a distant yet fun take on the classic present exchange, online Red and White Day — which included competitive games and increased school spirit. 

Without league sports, Cubs took advantage of athletic conditioning opportunities as a way to stay connected.

After the holiday season came and went with limited gatherings, Mayfield Mornings became a time when we could finally see our classmates. The Senior Mother-Daughter Luncheon was a day of joy and reunion for the senior class. Through it all the Mayfield community maintained its importance as a community and as a family. 

Although being online was difficult for all, it especially tested both freshmen and seniors. While the former was unable to experience Mayfield in-person classes, the latter navigated college applications virtually and missed out on several senior privileges and traditions. Though, from discussions with friends and classmates alike, it can be said that this year has been one of self discovery.

“While incredibly difficult, I was able to form new friendships from this experience,” said Annie Aloisio ‘21. “I am forever grateful.” Likewise, many of us agree we know more who’s reliable, and more than we would have believed possible, this past year has made us more of who we are. Adaptable. Strong. Unbreakable.

Now, one year later, we have a date for returning to in-person school, a cause of both excitement and uncertainty. As we venture into this new chapter in April, the compassion and resilience of our community will prevail, as Mayfield students continue to take action and aid others.