The Student News Site of Mayfield Senior School

The Mayfield Crier

The Mayfield Crier

The Mayfield Crier

Thanksgiving Prayer Service: An Opportunity for Deepened Understanding and Appreciation

Jemimah Khan ‘24, Rubi Nasiyah Cedillo ‘24, and Jennifer Saparzadeh display the Quran, Palo Santo, and Pomegranate they offered as symbols of peace during the prayer service. Photo credits: Mayfield Crier

Perhaps what made this prayer service so memorable was the way we turned our bodies in unison to the Native American Four Directions prayer. Or maybe it was the rhythmic hum of the Hindu Om meditation resounding throughout the auditorium which established the serene, humbled atmosphere. Or, it could have been the community we felt as we collectively sang “Let there be Peace on Earth.” 

By the end of the hour, we were connected by a deepened appreciation of the unique beauty within the various faith traditions we recognized. 

In preparation for the Thanksgiving holiday, Mayfiled’s Campus Ministry continued its tradition of hosting an interfaith prayer service to commemorate different religious traditions and beliefs. The service included speeches on distinct faiths and rituals and from various religions. 

This year, Campus Ministry tried something new. Rather than invite guests to come to campus to speak on their personal religious experiences, they sought out speakers from within the Mayfield community. Seniors Jemimah Khan and Rubi Nasiyah Cedillo as well as teacher Jennifer Saparzadeh graciously dedicated their time to crafting powerfully intimate, impactful reflections on their distinct faiths and cultural experiences. 

Melding both personal experiences and religious background, they discussed managing conflicts and differences to build bridges and connect communities through the lens of their faith tradition’s teachings and beliefs. Khan described the impact of prejudicial view points but also the beautiful influence and power of her Muslim faith in navigating life; Nasiyah Cedillo gave her perspective on Thanksgiving as an indigenous person, emphasizing the importance of recognizing truth; and Saparzadeh elucidated her experience as a Jewish woman, reflecting on the importance of cultural connection.  

In accordance with the theme of “Give Thanks: Give Peace,” each speaker presented a symbol of peace related to their religious or cultural traditions. Nasiyah Cedillo offered Palo Santo for good energy and good fortune. Khan offered the Quran for appreciation, understanding, and ways of worship. Finally, Saparzadeh provided a Pomegranate for prosperity and love.   

This year’s prayer service is one the Mayfield community will remember long past its duration. The service not only further educated the school community on various religions, but through participation in religious rituals and the speakers’ reflections, deepened their appreciation of the unique value of each faith. It was time for reflection on the immense beauty of the diversity of religious and cultural tradition.