The Student News Site of Mayfield Senior School

The Mayfield Crier

The Mayfield Crier

The Mayfield Crier

Killer Gifts vs. Gifts That Kill: Cruelty Free Brands to Support this Holiday Season

As the holiday season approaches, makeup stores like Sephora and Ulta are filled with frantic crowds rushing to get last-minute presents. In the bustling atmosphere of holiday cheer, people are quick to pick up popular products, often forgetting about the inhumane ways they were manufactured. Many popular makeup brands use animal testing while creating their products, which inflicts physical harm, and even death, onto the animals. Makeup brands that participate in animal testing fail to show the ugly side of their contributions to the cosmetic industry. In fact, many consumers are unaware of the extent of harm animal testing causes animals, and base their judgment off misleading images of bunnies and mice embellished with colorful eyeshadow, mascara, and blush.

In reality, animal testing is a violent and unethical process, in which animals are abused through exposure of chemicals to their skin and eyes, force feeding, inhalation tests, and even intentional damage to their fertility. After these tests occur, most animals are killed.

As more and more products are produced by these harmful companies, the phrase “I’d kill for that product” takes on a chilling truthfulness. This is when we should begin to ask ourselves: is a new lip gloss really worth it if it costs an animal its life?

Researching which brands are safe to use is important, but time consuming. So, I’ve compiled a short list to show you some ethically made makeup for this holiday season. 

1. Laneige vs. Summer Fridays

LANEIGE Lip Sleeping Mask: Nourish & Hydrate with Vitamin C, Antioxidants, 0.7 oz.

Summer Fridays Lip Butter Balm Pink Sugar | eBay

Instead of buying the TikTok-viral lip line Laneige, check out the cruelty free and eco-friendly brand Summer Fridays. Both products are glossy and buttery, and Summer Fridays has an even larger selection of colors and scents!

1. Clinique vs. Tarte

https://adminicesm.life/product_details/98207582.html

tarte Maracuja Juicy Lip 9-Pc Lip Library with Gift Bags – QVC.com

Clinique’s “Almost Lipstick” secured the brand many customers due to the popularity of the shade ‘Black Honey’, but they participate in animal testing. The Maracuja Juicy Lip glosses by Tarte are a perfect alternative, offering a light wash of color and a lasting gloss.

1. Benefit vs. Glossier

Glossier Cloud Paint Review and Swatches – The Beauty Look Book

Benefit Cosmetics Benetint Rose Liquid Lip Blush & Tint – 0.02oz – Ulta Beauty : Target

Benefit’s liquid blush “Benetint” has sold out from Sephora countless times. Because the brand tests on animals, an alternative to the lightweight blush is the Glossier “Cloud Paint”, which has a larger selection of colors and more build-ability.

1. Nars vs. Kosas

Amazon.com : NARS Radiant Creamy Concealer, Vanilla, 0.22 Ounce

Revealer Super Creamy + Brightening Concealer with Caffeine and Hyaluronic Acid – Kosas | Sephora

The Nars “Creamy Concealer” grew in popularity due to its smooth and creamy texture, despite the brand’s animal testing policy. Instead, try the Kosas “Super Creamy + Brightening Concealer” that includes hyaluronic acid in its formula!

1. L’Oreal vs. E.L.F.

True Match Lumi Glotion & Makeup Highlighter – L’Oréal Paris

e.l.f. Halo Glow Liquid Filter, Complexion Booster For A Glowing, Soft-Focus Look, Infused With Hyaluronic Acid, Vegan & Cruelty-Free, 6 Tan/Deep

L’Oreal’s “Lumi Glotion ” became popular for its ability to give skin a natural glow yet people failed to acknowledge their testing on animals. Cruelty free brand E.L.F. features affordable alternatives, like their “Halo Glow Liquid Filter”, which also achieves the glowy skin look.

1. Dior vs. E.L.F.

Dior Lip Glow Oil Nourishing glossy lip oil – color-awakening

Glow Reviver Tinted Lip Oil | e.l.f. Cosmetics

The Dior “Lip Glow Oil” is popular due to its longevity and shine, but they are not cruelty free and the lip oil itself is $40! E.L.F.’s “Glow Reviver Lip Oil” has the same effect but it is only $8 and does not test on animals.

View Comments (1)

Comments (1)

All The Mayfield Crier Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

• S

Sicily KeyesDec 15, 2023 at 10:23 am

Love this article!!

Reply