The Student News Site of Mayfield Senior School

The Mayfield Crier

The Mayfield Crier

The Mayfield Crier

Mayfield Minute: Museum Of Tolerance

Mayfield+students+watching+a+presentation+inside+of+the+Social+Lab.+
Mayfield students watching a presentation inside of the Social Lab.

Members of Mayfield’s Creative Writing, Theatre, and Technical Theatre arts conservatories were joined by members of SJLC at the Museum of Tolerance in Los Angeles ahead of Mayfield’s Fall play, The Diary of Anne Frank. Students had the opportunity to explore the Anne Frank exhibit at the museum, which featured the historic story recorded in her diary, as well as a background on her childhood before going into hiding. Students were able to learn about her family, as well as her legacy following the publishing of her diary. Students also visited the Social lab, an recently opened exhibit where modern issues are displayed through several interactive experiences. The various presentations educate visitors on issues like climate change, social injustice, and the media crisis while also offering solutions of how people can promote change around these issues.  “It was a very eye-opening experience.” said Ja’Mya Johnson ‘24. “It gives us a deeper understanding that we’re not playing characters, we’re playing actual people.” said Anne Frank cast member Madelyn Hammer ‘26. The excursion connected students with the past, so they can apply their knowledge to their current experiences, growing towards a better future.