The Student News Site of Mayfield Senior School

The Mayfield Crier

The Mayfield Crier

The Mayfield Crier

Mayfield Minute Rehumanize Dance Show

Maia Mashiko dances a solo piece to poetry written and read by Mayfield voice actors.

Mayfield Dance Conservatory’s production of Rehumanize recently blended various arts to invent a unique performance that invited the audience to ponder the questions that the dancers posed: What makes you feel human? This amazing product was the result of thirty-nine Mayfield artists across various mediums, from voice-overs to poetry to visual arts to technical theater, and of course, dancers. The show was staged to appear as though the dancers were in a café, with the performers mimicking general human interactions between performances. Each piece represented a course on the menu, while exploring concepts such as humanizing emotion, female stereotypes, and shared experiences that all humans encounter. As dance teacher and lead choreographer Ms. Alaways reminded the school during the dance preview, this show was interactive, engaging its viewers not just to explore the themes, but to react to the movements as well, and even to join the dancers onstage at the end of the show. This element of participation is especially relevant to the show’s topic itself: rehumanizing, or reconnecting with others despite societal boundaries and identity differences. Given the performance’s relevance to today’s world, which seems to use media as a tool for separating and categorizing the world’s inhabitants through hatred and violence, the dance show especially highlighted our similarities through the teenage female experience every Mayfield student faces. It managed to move and to connect all its viewers, and was a stunning representation of the skill and hard work every artist contributed for such a fantastic outcome.

(from left to right) Karyme Morales-Jauregui, Selina Ye, Kate Wang, Lina Wallgren, Claire Pruyn, Victoria Chan, Maia Mashiko, and Annika Mashiko perform synchronized movements in a group piece.
(from left to right) Claire Pruyn, Victoria Chan (back), Madison Ruiz, Maia Mashiko (back), Annika Mashiko, Selina Ye, and Karyme Morales-Jauregui gracefully lift Jenny Chen overhead.
G McAlister, Victoria Chan, Karyme Morales-Jauregui, Claire Pruyn, Maia Mashiko, Kate Wang, Lina Wallgren, and Annika Mashiko star in a hip hop piece by guest choreographer Keyes Wiley.
All the dancers take a bow after a fantastic performance.