The Student News Site of Mayfield Senior School

The Mayfield Crier

The Mayfield Crier

The Mayfield Crier

Mayfield Student Takes Home a Cabrini Award

Amy+Tanaka%2C+her+mom%2C+Akiko%2C+Journalism+teacher%2C+Kimberly+Gomez+and+Cabrini+Awards+Luncheon+Keynote+Speaker%2C+Mary+Lea+Carroll+Storyteller+and+author+of+Saint+Everywhere.+
Amy Tanaka, her mom, Akiko, Journalism teacher, Kimberly Gomez and Cabrini Awards Luncheon Keynote Speaker, Mary Lea Carroll Storyteller and author of Saint Everywhere.

Each year, the Cabrini Literary Guild celebrates young writing talents from LA Archdiocese Catholic high schools with their annual Writing Awards. On April 11, 2024, Mayfield Senior School student Amy Tanaka was presented with the The Cabrini Literary Guild Writing Contest’s third place prize of $500 for her essay, “Who Needs a Therapist When You Have Social Media.”

This year, the Cabrini Literary Guild recognized that social media is an integral  

part of the lives of high school students. While it  offers numerous benefits, studies have shown that it can also have a negative impact on the mental health of young people.

The contest called on all freshmen, sophomores, juniors, and seniors of Los Angeles Catholic Schools to write about “your use of and interaction with social media and its impact on your mental health and/or the mental health of your peers. Include what you think  are healthy approaches to social media use.”