The Student News Site of Mayfield Senior School

The Mayfield Crier

The Mayfield Crier

The Mayfield Crier

4 Habits to Help Students Achieve a Better Sleep Schedule

Graphic by Jordan Steele.

1. Limit Your Caffeine Intake

While the notion of a refreshing Starbucks after school seems like the perfect reward for a day of hard work at Mayfield, it may be the reason students are getting less sleep. In an article from the Journal of Clinical Sleep Medicine, it is revealed that ingesting caffeine “even 6 hours prior to bedtime significantly disrupts sleep” which can “[reduce] sleep by more than 1 hour”. While caffeine may be necessary to gain energy in the morning, consuming it after school hours will only negatively impact a student’s sleep. When interviewed by the Crier, Mayfield junior Erin Erikson explained that she is an “avid coffee drinker” and gets around 6 hours of sleep a night. Additionally, Erikson admitted by not drinking coffee, she believes she would get more sleep.

In contrast, Mayfield junior Grace Culver described to the Crier that she has recently been getting 8 hours of sleep on weekdays, and up to 10 hours on weekends! Additionally, Grace does not drink coffee or any other caffeinated drinks. There is a clear connection between a student’s caffeine intake and their quality of sleep, so when you are in line for a coffee after school: consider going decaf.

2. No Phone 30 Minutes Before Bed

After a long day of school, it may be tempting to scroll endlessly through TikTok or Instagram into late hours of the night. Mayfield Senior students agree. In a study done by the Mayfield Crier staff in 2024, using technology and social media is what more than half of students do right before bed (sleep study). Michelle Drerup, a sleep expert, explained that “Checking your phone stimulates your brain.” Having stimulation before bed makes it harder to relax and fall asleep. Additionally, the blue light found in phone screens “mimics daylight”, and essentially tricks your brain into thinking it’s daytime! This unnatural exposure to ‘daylight’ disrupts your circadian rhythm, which is the body’s natural tiredness in response to daytime and nighttime. Because of this, refraining from going on your phone even 30 minutes before bed can be the difference between having 5 or 7 hours of sleep. And, if you’re up for it, consider charging your phone outside your room to avoid any temptations.

3. Time Managing homework

As students take on extracurricular activities such as sports or arts at Mayfield, it is easy to become unorganized when it comes to course work. However, managing homework can allow students to have more rest time and to sleep longer. In the Crier’s Sleep Study, over 96% of students reported that homework is the main reason they do not get enough sleep (Sleep Study). Trying to implement time management skills into a busy week can be hard, so the Crier’s Lauren Mascarenhas has compiled a list of tips to help students navigate schoolwork during their busy schedules.

4. Napping

According to Mayfield students, almost ¾ of students take naps, with 8.7% of girls taking naps almost every day (Sleep Study). Furthermore, the benefits of napping surpass relaxation. Napping,can improve your memory, lift your mood, help students be more alert, ease stress, and even help you sleep better at night. While napping may seem like a waste of time to some students, using Mascarenhas’ tips for time management allows for a stress free mindset!