The Student News Site of Mayfield Senior School

The Mayfield Crier

The Mayfield Crier

The Mayfield Crier

Coldplay’s Music of the Spheres: Gen X to Gen Z and Everything in Between

Being a 16 year old, you would not expect me to enjoy a concert so much that people older than my parents would attend. As a child, I grew up listening to Coldplay on the radio in car rides, or whenever my parents played them, so seeing them in concert was a dream come true.  To me, the concert was an emotional experience as I felt connected with the music and Chris Martin, lead singer, himself. Coldplay did not disappoint. From the moment they took the stage, it was clear that this wasn’t just a concert… It was an experience that transcended music and spoke to the heart of everyone in the audience. 

The emotional intensity of every song, combined with the light display that mesmerized everyone, created a beautiful atmosphere. The band had great timing for knowing when to shoot off fireworks or different colored lights at the perfect point in every song. Coldplay even won an award in previous years for their lights being environmentally stable. Using lights that are healthy for our world is a lot different compared to other artists’ choices. Interestingly, they had backstage workers riding bikes to produce energy for the lights. It was a compelling message that while Coldplay wants to put on a great show for their audience, they can still achieve that while preventing the production of pollution.  

This was not just any concert, this was a beautiful performance where I felt connected to the music. What made this concert even more special was how I could see everyone else around so invested as I was in their performance. It was inspiring to see how Coldplay’s music transcends generations. The crowd had a wide variety of different generations ranging from gen z to gen x. The band’s enduring appeal was demonstrated by the varied audience, which included both older fans and fellow teenagers. 

What struck me most about the concert was the band’s dedication to creating a positive and uplifting feeling throughout the audience. It is common for artists to not interact with their crowd, but Chris Martin made an extraordinary effort to show he cared about the people watching his band’s performance. Specifically, at the end of Viva la Vida, Martin ended  by turning off the music and having the audience sing with him. Just voices in the warm open stadium brought me closer to him and the people around me. At one point, Martin  brought two girls on stage to sit beside him on the piano bench while he performed “Let somebody Go.” with Selena Gomez. This interaction filled the audience with pure joy. He was one with his crowd. 

With a common passion for Coldplay, the audience members of all ages were brought together by the share of love for their music. In a year of concerts from The Weeknd to Kendrick Lamar, Coldplay for a concert that surpassed all my expectations and will always hold a special place in the heart of this teen fan.