The Student News Site of Mayfield Senior School

The Mayfield Crier

The Mayfield Crier

The Mayfield Crier

“Never go alone” to Universal’s Halloween Horror Nights

Halloween Horror Nights may not be as scary as expected. Graphic by Lucia Derriman ‘24

Some like to be spooked and watch classic scary movies, and others may enjoy spending their October relaxing and taking in the cooler weather. Some of the most popular activities to do during October include baking fall treats, going to a pumpkin patch, dressing up for Halloween, and my personal favorite, going to Universal Studios’ Halloween Horror Nights. 

I went to my first Halloween Horror Night in October 2022. To be honest, I was scared leading up to my visit especially since I searched up the question “is Halloween Horror Nights scary?” and the primary answer on Google was “yes”. Despite this, my Horror Nights experience was not as scary as expected. 

Upon entering Universal Studios, the “Scaremonie” signals the start of the memorable night. Scarers begin to interact with the guests by chasing them or roaring their chainsaws. This year, the saying “never go alone” was shown throughout the entire theme park, which is fitting. Throughout the park’  scare zones filled with mazes, scare actors are in every corner and scout their next victim. If you’re looking to steer clear of these frightful creatures, you can hide out in restaurants, stores, maze and ride lines, since they do not cross those boundaries. 

The unique and frightful mazes at Halloween Horror Nights are a driving factor for people who are looking to have a night filled with “Halloween season vibes”. Because of this, the lines tend to be extremely long, with wait times up to three hours. If you can, I would recommend getting a fast pass in order to skip the lines to experience more fun. On the Universal Studios App, there is the list of the mazes with individual descriptions of each. If you are planning on going this year but you don’t know what to expect, be sure to look for experiences you’re comfortable going on.

Hanging out with your friends, getting spooked, and going on rides makes Universal Studios Horror Nights such an incredible experience.