The Student News Site of Mayfield Senior School

The Mayfield Crier

The Mayfield Crier

The Mayfield Crier

Reasons you should Read The Invisible Life of Addie LaRue By V.E. Schwab

(Courtesy of VictoriaSchwab.com)
(Courtesy of VictoriaSchwab.com)

What’s it like to make a deal with the devil?

The Invisible Life of Addie LaRue by V.E. Schwab is a thrilling tale about Adeline LaRue, a young French girl born in 1691 to a family of peasants who bargains away her life for a chance at freedom. As a result, Addie is cursed to be forgotten by everyone she ever encounters. 

Addie wishes for a life where she does not have to marry someone her parents choose for her, tied down to her small town. On her wedding day, she is desperate enough to pray to the one god she was warned never to pray to: the Darkness. He grants her wish to be free of the bounds that hold her back, but tricks her into walking the earth forever more, unseen and unheard.

Three hundred years later, Addie walks into a bookshop and everything changes. She meets someone who finally says the three words she thought she’d never hear again: “I remember you.”

This book is a wonderful read for anyone who likes an adventure with fantasy and dark themes. With its beautifully told, whimsical story, The Invisible Life of Addie LaRue exemplifies that even the most tragic stories can be too thrilling. It is easy to relate to Addie – many often feel forgotten and need someone or something to make them realize that they are truly memorable. I loved this book and definitely recommend it to anyone who loves a compelling story that you won’t want to put down!