Come Along with Mon: Women’s Ensemble Won!

Mayfield’s Women’s Ensemble embarked on our Northern California Competition Choir Tour in April, and we were all beyond excited (and a bit nervous) to compete for the first time since before the pandemic. The girls arrived at school at 5:30am and loaded their suitcases, snacks, and iconic red choir dresses onto the bus. This was my first trip with Women’s Ensemble, so I was particularly thrilled to be able to hear other choirs sing and spend time with Mayfield’s talented singers. We had so much fun eating dinner together, watching movies, taking naps on the bus, and warming up before performances.

The first two days were filled with choir exchanges. We visited Mira Monte High School, Bakersfield High School, Monache High School, Dinuba High School, and Clovis East High School. Every choir was so unique, and we all had an amazing time being able to hear the music they have been working on. 

The third day of the tour was the big day. Competition. I was feeling perfectly fine until I stepped on the risers in Cubberley Theater in Palo Alto. I was beyond excited, don’t get me wrong. My heart was racing, but I was also trying to make sure that my french twist wouldn’t fall out. Once Cat Forbush, our pianist, played our starting note for “I Carry Your Heart,” I knew it was time. Our director, Mr. Andrew Alvarez gave us a big smile, and this small gesture instantly calmed my nerves. Our unity and distinct use of musicality was communicated in such a beautiful and effortless way. I was so proud of how great we performed but the cherry on top? The judges loved it.

After the competition, we visited California’s Great America theme park where the awards ceremony would be held. I’m sure we were all anticipating at least one award because of how much the judges complimented our performance, and also because Mr. Alvarez is known for his choir successes. I was blown away after hearing “Mayfield Senior School” called for an award. By the end of the awards ceremony, we had won Outstanding Choral Group, Outstanding Women’s Ensemble (Gold 1st place, and the Adjudicator Award. In other words, we won every award we qualified for!

The next day, we attended mass at St. Mary’s Cathedral in San Francisco and received palms for Palm Sunday. After mass, we headed for our home away from home: Mayfield. Personally, I was sad that our eventful and memorable choir trip was ending. Nevertheless, I am content with the closer bonds and incredible memories I experienced, and I seriously can’t wait to discover what Mayfield’s amazing Women’s Ensemble will accomplish next.