When Is It Too Early To Talk About College?

Freshmen are listing dream colleges. Sophomores are preparing for the SAT. Parents are scheduling college tours for Juniors and Seniors. College talk is in the air. 

Although it is natural to think about the future, it is important to remember that there is a lot of growth between freshman and junior year.

“I think it is definitely too early to start talking about college in your freshman year, but at the end of freshman year or beginning of sophomore year is more acceptable”, says Nasim Afkhamnejad ’22.

While Mayfield officially begins the college preparation process in the springtime of junior year, most students begin to talk with their parents and peers much sooner. 

Mayfield introduces the process of applying to college in the winter of sophomore year. Beginning in February, sophomores and their parents attend a mandatory college night. This meeting is dedicated to discussing the variety of college options available to Mayfield students and the process of finding the right college fit. 

“Although students might want to start talking about college right away when they get to high school, the best time to seriously start talking about college is junior year,” said Mrs. Lynn Maloney, Co-Director of College Counseling, via email. 

Mayfield’s college counselors, Lynn Maloney and Samantha Pieper, put together a mini introduction to the college program for sophomores because they believe there is still time to challenge yourself academically and take part in a wide variety of activities at this point. In addition to the mandatory college night, the 10th grade had a Formation of Self class dedicated to asking questions about college and talking with a junior currently experiencing what it is like going through the college process. 

With preparing for the SAT/ACT, taking college tours, and finalizing college applications, the college process can be very stressful for students. 

“As a junior, I feel that I am more unsure than ever, which is kind of ironic because as a freshman I at least knew some direction with where I wanted to go or I had some direction with where I wanted to go to college. But now that (college) seems so close, it’s just kind of very hectic,”said Ysabelle Magat ’21. She is comforted in the readily available support of college counselors, advisors and parents.

“Just having adult guidance is good to help calm that storm that’s going on inside your head. I think that it’s never a bad idea to start thinking about college, but don’t dwell on it too much. Like, don’t drive yourself crazy over it,“ said Magat.

Through the challenges of the college process, Mayfield provides tremendous support for their students advancing to a higher education. 

“Before then, the main goal of high school should be to do your best academically and find your interests, talents, and values. In the long run, those will help a student figure out what college will be best for them. You change a lot between freshman and junior year,” said Maloney.